SERRALUNGA Designer Furniture | Serralunga was founded in Biella in 1825. Serralunga is the name of the family that has been the creative and entrepreneurial heart of the company for six generations, manufacturing modern outdoor furniture. The company was started as a tannery and then moved into leather processing for industrial purposes. The real revolution arrived with the processing of plastic and then with the rotational moulding technique imported from the U.S.A., which gave origin to countless Italian design objects, such as outdoor lighting and contemporary furniture, all made in Italy.
The company has been based in the same place for almost two centuries. Its production is totally concentrated in Biella, Italy, in the street named after the Serralunga family, in a 12,000 m² plant, employing 65 members of staff and around the same amount in satellite activities. The plant processes over 1,200 tons of plastic and produces around 200,000 items a year.
“Every soul has a place of calm. I imagine spaces in which my objects give a sense of peace and beauty in a natural environment. This is the dream that guides my daily work: a fluid boundary between indoors and outdoors wherethe outside becomes intimate and the inside bright and sunny, mixing things up to create the unexpected. Emotionally.”Marco Serralunga
With its passion for innovation, Serralunga is renowned for pushing the boundaries of materials, technologies and aesthetics in order to create groundbreaking products that both inspire and delight.
The spirit of research and the passion for technology, together with the productive tradition, are the fundamentals of the brand Serralunga that, through original and valuable collections, celebrates the Design Made in Italy : reference point and trend setter in the field.
The result is a combination of shapes and unique interpretations capable of transforming a purely functional object into a stunning piece of furniture making the Urban Outdoors also beautiful and comfortable as the Indoor Design.Choosing Serralunga means being able to recognize and appreciate originality.
1. Polyethylene powderRotational moulding is a special technique for the production of plastic objects that mainly uses linear polyethylene powder.
2. Aluminium mouldThe material is poured into aluminium moulds that are subsequently placed in an oven.
3. Rotatory motionThanks to fusion and the combination of a rotary action caused by mechanical arms with the force of gravity, the plastic is distributed uniformly on the walls.
4. Manual extractionThe mould is then cooled and the solidification process begins. The object is manually extracted from the mould.
5. VarnishingThe surfaces are finished with artisan techniques followed by the painting process which is performed in four further steps.
6. Double wallThanks to this process, it is possible to realize the production of complex, highly defined design objects, and to achieve items in a “double wall” structure with an internal hollow in between.
7. End ProductRotational moulding is an industrial technique that allows the production of few dozen pieces a day and requires a great deal of ability and manual skill on the part of specialized technicians.
Countless interior designers have worked with Serralunga. They come from all over the world and are all artists who love outdoor patio furniture. It is hard to pick just a handful of names: every interior designer is a pleasant success for Serralunga. Philippe Starck, the father of Holly All, Zaha Hadid, the mother of Flow, and Karim Rashid, father of Plomb e Kronik, all items of outdoor patio furniture.
We do not have ready-for-order products from this brand at the moment. If you are looking for specific products, do get in touch with us.
Or feel free to browse around for other products.